Many make the mistake of tackling the subject of employment only after graduation. To avoid having reality hit you hard and fast after graduation, follow the list below and move to the front of the job line.
Five Ways to Increase your Employability as a Fresh Grad:
- Secure a relevant internship: This increases your chances of employment by showing that you have experience, not just the tertiary qualifications. There are also many instances where an internship leads to a proper, full-time job offer.
- Market yourself: Publish your portfolio online and gain visibility. Start networking on sites such as Linked In. With the advent of social media, there is simply no excuse for not putting yourself out there.
- Carefully craft your CV: Your CV and cover letters help future employers form their first impression of you. It is how they evaluate of you are worth meeting in person for that first interview. As such it stands to reason that you should spend ample time on this. If writing or the English language as a whole is your kryptonite, there are several online resources where you can seek help.
- Pick up an added skill: Learn a foreign language, pick up designing or photography. There are several skills that you can add to your arsenal to give you that added advantage over other candidates and impress your future boss.
- Have a positive attitude: Unlike magnets, like attracts like. So if you have a bright outlook on life, rest assured that others will respond accordingly. Remember that employers would rather hire someone who is personable and willing to learn, instead of someone experienced but negative, to maintain a pleasant work environment.
And there you have it. Keep these five simple rules in mind during your job search and hopefully, you find yourself easing into the workforce in no time.
For more assistance, try these resources:
Presentation is everything – Get started on the right foot