The next time you plan a vacation and are deciding where to go, a good option to consider is Switzerland. Not exactly your run-of-the-mill choice in terms of holiday locales for some, but here are 8 great reasons why you should make a trip to the land of snowy capped mountains and minimalist architecture.
- Melt in your Mouth Swiss Chocolate – Ladies, rejoice! Renowned the world over, Swiss chocolate is rated as one of the most superb confectionaries due to the high content of quality cocoa butter found in them. With its luscious, creamy texture, it comes as no surprise that the Swiss have one of the highest rates of chocolate consumption. Be warned though, once you’ve had Swiss chocolate, everything else pales in comparison after.
- Swiss Cheese – This is the reason why the fondue was invented. More than just food, cheese is literally a way of life here, as the dairy item is taken with almost every meal where possible. Yet another world famous item, Swiss Cheese is instantly recognised by the distinctive holes found when sliced and its yellow colouring.
- Breath-taking Scenery – Like something straight out of a picture book, the views afforded across several locales in Switzerland need to be seen to be believed. We recommend taking a scenic train ride, such as the Glacier Express route. Alternatively, if you feel guilt-ridden after all the chocolate and cheese, take a hike or go tramping. Enjoying the nature that is available is definitely something not to be missed.
- The Swiss Alps – The hills are alive, with the buzz of skiing. Whether you’re a beginner or Olympic skier, there’s a slope to suit you. Touted as one of best locations for skiing, ski resorts such as St Mortiz, are often booked out during peak season and are a draw for several of the rich and famous. And even if you don’t ski and have no inclination to do so, a stay at a ski resort just for the experience is one you won’t forget.
- Bern, baby Bern – While several know Zurich, the capital of Bern also has a lot to offer. This is where you can fully appreciate the history and architecture of beautiful old buildings, and then step forward into the future again at the uber-modern Interlaken, a pull for adrenalin junkies as well as conference goers.
- Swiss Castles – We highly recommend touring the majestic castles of Switzerland that dot its unique landscape. Even if you’re not a history buff, it is hard not be amazed by the sheer elegance of towering castles that have withstood time for centuries.
- Quaint Villages – If castles are not your thing, then maybe a visit to the Graubünden area will be more up your alley. Here, you can find people still living within 13th century buildings who speak in an ancient language known as Romanch, unique to the area.
- Swiss Precision – It is no secret that a Swiss made watch is a well-made watch. When a watch bears the mark “Swiss Made,” it is an investment piece that literally stands the test of time. In fact, the best names in the industry do not confine themselves to being called a “watch business” but rather, are recognised as luxury brands. What better way to find out more about these timepieces than to go right to the source?
So the next time you don’t feel like the sun, sand and sea, think about the mountains and snow instead and give the Switzerland a go.